Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dream a New Dream



I've been thinking a lot lately of all that I'd like to try or accomplish in life. I find myself at a point where I'm restless, not sure which direction to take...or if there's even a path leading away from where I am now. If you'd asked my 10 years ago...even 5 years ago where I thought I'd be at age 28 it's not where I am. No where close. So, even though I cling to the hopes and dreams I've had for my life, it's time to dream a new dream for now.





My wise and caring dad suggested to me that I take some time to muse and think big about what I'd like to do in my life. Not necessarily things that I need to accomplish this year, but both short-term and long-term goals, and to also include things that seem completely out of the box. As I've been letting myself dream and imagine, here are some of the ideas I've come up with:



  • Travel more and often
  • Teach overseas
  • Work for a non-profit
  • Audition for a community theater production (sing/act)
  • Take an art class
  • Learn photography
  • Garden- flowers, fruits, vegetables
  • Own a small paper goods company
  • Marry my best friend
  • Have and adopt children, raise a loving family
  • Start and continue meaningful traditions with family and friends
  • Be a loyal friend, a faithful wife, and a compassionate neighbor


This list is not complete. As C.S. Lewis (love him!) said, "You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream." I hope that I will continue to live and dream, knowing that there is so much to experience in this life.



At no point do I want to feel stuck, or as though I'm hanging out in the visitor's center instead of climbing the mountain, as Gary Haugen describes it in his book, Just Courage. I want to experience life on this earth to the fullest...be stretched and take risks, knowing full well that I can't do it all on my own. To live in the safe and comfortable and easy is just that. But what joy and adventure can be had if I stay in the visitor's center? So, it's time to dream new dreams and not be boxed in by the ordinary or expected.



1 comment: