Friday, July 1, 2011

Do the Next Thing


I had coffee with a friend on Friday during my lunch hour. She shared with me some nuggets of simple truth and encouragement that have been replaying in my mind. The one I have found myself reflecting on most this weekend is to just "do the next thing." When I'm feeling unmotivated, disappointed, or lethargic I am telling myself to do the next thing. One step at a time is very manageable.
I can get carried away with plans and looking too far down the path. As much as I love planning and being prepared, it can sometimes get overwhelming when I don't think I can accomplish all that is set before me. I can shut down and do absolutely nothing.
Recently, just since school finished for the summer, I have become a casuality of this shut-down. I have been unproductive, lazy, and uncharacteristically scattered. And of course, I need to remedy this. So the idea that I just have to do the next thing might just work for me when I find myself in this condition.
I love to-do lists and prioritizing my tasks, so if I can just do the next thing on my list, I will slowly make progress. Let's not get too eager though...my lists aren't very long at this point. Today on my list: post a blog entry. Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment