Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

I awoke this morning with a heavy heart.  The vivid memories of 9/11 have remained. 
I was a freshman in college, just starting my third week of classes.  I was in chapel when Dr. Keehlwetter interuppted the regular courses of service that morning to announce that a plane had crashed into the North Tower in NYC.  We were stunned, but unaware of what was happening.  Less than twenty minutes later, in my World Civ class with Dr. Kemeny, we found out that a second plane had hit and before that class ended the Pentagon had been attacked.
I don't remember much of what I thought that day, rather what I felt.  Walking back to my dorm late that morning, I felt scared.  I wanted to find my friends, who weren't even really my friends yet.  We had only known each other a couple of weeks.  I wanted to call my family, but phone lines were jammed and it was impossible to get through.  I felt alone.  TVs were on everywhere with the coverage and footage of the terror that had found it's way onto American soil.  I felt unsafe. 
Our life has changed post 9/11, but I was reminded this morning in church that even though the world around seems to be crumbling, our God is faithful.  He has not changed. 
President Obama read Psalm 46 at Ground Zero this morning.  The words of the Psalm are powerful and comforting.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." Psalm 46:1-3

So as I go about my days, waking and sleeping, I shed my heavy heart.  With a light spirit and my hope in God alone, I know that my Lord is a shield about me.  I pray for our nation and the world to turn their hearts toward Christ.  He is to be exalted, even in the midst of uncertainty and evil. 


As we remember 9/11, the fallen are not forgotten.  May we not forget the Lord of all- present, past, and future. God Bless America, and may America Bless God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment